Your Child’s First Visit With a Pediatric Dentist in Bridgeport, Shelton & Westport
Being a new mom can get overwhelming. Not only do you have to continue taking care of yourself, you have to care for another little human being as well. Not sure what to do about your little one’s dental health? Have a special needs child? At Commerce Park Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics, our pediatric dentist in Bridgeport, Shelton & Westport makes the entire process run smoothly by educating parents and getting on the child’s level during a first exam.
To make the first dental visit easy for new parents, Commerce Park Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics has created their First Smiles program. Under First Smiles, all children less than two years of age receive a FREE first visit that includes dental exam, cleaning, and fluoride (behavior permitting). We also give parents their child’s own “dental tooth-print,” in case of emergency, as a way of safeguarding our young patients. Contact us today to learn more about our First Smiles program.
Preparing for the Examination
As you prepare your children for their first visit to the dentist, there are some things you should remember to help set their little minds at ease.
- Present the exam as something that is exciting for both of you to meet the dentist.
- Your child won’t be getting any work done at the first visit, so there’s no need to go into detail about anesthesia, drills or needles. Just let them know that everything happening will be gentle and the professionals will be friendly.
- Tell them the dentist wants to “count” their teeth and “take pictures” of them. Those are things that children can relate to.
What to Expect at the Examination
A first visit at Commerce Park Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics will look something like this:
- We will inspect the baby teeth that have already erupted.
- We will look at the health of the gums.
- We will evaluate the bite.
- We will discuss childhood habits such as using pacifiers and sucking thumbs.
Our kid-friendly staff will also take a record of the dental and medical history of your child to ensure proper care at every visit. After the exam, we will discuss with you what our findings are and what measures need to be taken for your child’s oral hygiene.
Schedule Your Child’s First Pediatric Dental Visit Today
If your child is nervous or scared to visit the dentist, Commerce Park Children’s Dentistry & Orthodontics is the perfect place to start. Our doctors and staff members are great with kids, and we offer sedation dentistry for apprehensive children. Schedule your visit today by using our online form or by giving us a call at 203-371-8282. We can’t wait to hear from you!